Summer is here and swimming pools are already getting lots of good use but before you dive in, take some time to ensure your pool is compliant with new safety laws and requirements. You may have seen or heard recently that the State Government has released a new marketing campaign reminding pool owners that the 1st December 2015 deadline is fast approaching to have all pool safety barriers complaint with state laws.
The Government introduced pool safety laws back in 2010 however these included a 5 year grace period allowing all pool owners to have the necessary works carried out to make their pools and enclosures compliant.
From 1st December 2015, Local Councils can commence ensuring compliance with this pool safety legislation and may be conducting random on-the-spot inspections across Queensland to ensure their enclosures are up to standard. If they fail to meet requirements, residents could face fines up to $19,000.
If your pool is not summer ready, below are some tips to help prepare for the change in legislation:
- Ensure that all gates are fitted with an appropriate self-latching mechanism and that these are maintained in good working order.
- The pool safety barrier must measure 1200 millimetres from the top to bottom.
- Any climbable objects within 900 millimetres of the pool safety barrier have been removed.
- All branches that a child could use to climb over the pool safety barrier have been trimmed back.
- Any windows that are installed where they open out to a pool area have been fitted with security screens.
- Ensure that the pool displays a cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) sign by the Australian Resuscitation Council.
- All shared pools must have their pool safety certificate displayed ‚Äì the pool safety certificate is valid for 12 months.
If you don‚Äôt have a copy of a pool safety certificate for a pool you can search the register here: Http://www.smarteda.qld.gov.au/pools/properties/propertySearch.action
This article was contributed by Grant Mifsud. Grant is a Partner at Archers and is responsible for overseeing the Group Marketing division along with other executive management duties.
Click here to contact your nearest Archers’ office.