Are you prepared for the next round of summer storms? Although not isolated to summer any more or to a particular region of our sunshine state, if history repeats, now is the time to prepare!
We now know that these intense weather events can occur anywhere across the state and when they hit, it is usually with devastation, leaving a long term impact both financially and emotionally for those affected most.
As summer storms have hit early this year, this is a timely reminder to consider what you and your strata community can do to mitigate the damages that can be caused by strong winds, heavy rain and resulting flooding.
To assist you with preparations, we have put together the following checklist from government and other sources with links to the details you may well need to be prepared.
Severe Weather Checklist
• Register for weather warnings and emergency alerts
• If you have large trees get them checked by qualified arborist and trim branches clear of property
• Know which loose items like outdoor furniture will have to be put away or secured if a storm approaches
• Clear your gutters, downpipes and stormwater drains
• Conduct a maintenance check by hiring a qualified tradesperson to evaluate your properties storm risk including roofing security and draining effectiveness
• Understand your property’s risk of flooding
• Check your insurances (building and contents, and vehicles) are current and provide adequate coverage
• Have an emergency contact phone list – include 000 (triple zero) and SES (13 25 00)
• Download the SES app to your phone
• Prepare an emergency kit
• Make sure you think of your pets in preparing for any emergency: include pet food in your emergency kit and make sure your dog is registered and microchipped.
• After the storm stay away from fallen power lines – report them to Energex on 13 19 62 or Ergon on 13 16 70.
For those that prefer visual cues to prepare, click on this great 3D link to check off what you can do to prepare for sever weather around your property.
Should you end up in the unfortunate situation of picking up the pieces following a storm, your insurance broker will be your key contact for getting emergency and long term repairs completed.
As specialist insurance brokers, we are specifically trained and connected to insurers enabling us to efficiently process your claims. Our aim is to ensure that all parties involved are kept informed every step of the way. If you need assistance in this area, we are here to help when you need us most.
This article was contributed by Carly Dudley, Insurance Account Executive – Marsh Advantage Insurance.