Established almost 20 years ago, Mahoneys is an independent law firm offering a wide range of property, commercial, litigation and dispute resolution services.
Body Corporate Lawyers
Mahoneys acts for some of the largest bodies corporate in Queensland, and is one of the only full service body corporate law firms. This means we can act for bodies corporate on all their legal needs – including day-to-day advice, body corporate and management rights transactions, and disputes.
Our team has over 75 years’ industry experience and includes:
- Ben Seccombe – is a nationally recognised litigator with two decades of experience advising bodies corporate including on contract issues between resident managers and bodies corporate, by-laws, building and construction (including defect management), levy recovery, statutory compliance and insurance.
- John Mahoney – is an industry leader with over 35 years’ property and business law experience. John regularly acts for developers and bodies corporate. Like Ben, John experience of acting for both bodies corporate and resident managers has him uniquely placed to advise on all matters affecting community title schemes.
- Todd Garsden – is a leading body corporate lawyer who has practised entirely in the body corporate industry. Todd is an active member of the Strata Community Association of Queensland (SCA), including being a member of their Legislation Panel, and acts extensively for bodies corporate, body corporate managers and lot owners.
- Jarrod Clarke - is a lawyer who spent the past 5 years as a body corporate manager. He is familiar with the challenges bodies corporate face on a day to-day basis, and has extensive experience assisting bodies corporate with advice and disputes.
Our body corporate experience includes:
- advising bodies corporate on COVID-19 pandemic issues;
- assisting bodies corporate with the resumption of common property;
- assisting committees with recovery of unpaid levies and other body corporate debts;
- managing building defects in new and renovated schemes;
- acting in every significant court case involving Bodies Corporate in the last decade (including Ainsworth v Albrecht); and
- only firm to have helped a body corporate terminate a community titles scheme and sell it as a development site.
Supporting the Industry
Our team are members of the peak body corporate industry association, SCA, and presented at the recent annual conference.
We publish newsletters and email blasts for the industry, and provide body corporate managers with training sessions.
Contacts us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be added to our mailing list or would like to receive some training.